Monday, September 8, 2014

colorblind artist

When I was little
I had a favorite crayon
It was a blue kind of color
But its name sounded like the meat my dad grilled
Sirloin. (it was cerulean)
Thats mostly why I liked it



I colored all my pictures with this crayon
And in my eyes
Every picture was beautiful

As I grew older
I saw what everyone else was coloring with
I wanted to be like them
They were praised for their colorful pictures
And so I began to use my entire box of crayons

I didn't like my pictures much.
They were never as good as Andrew's 
And everyone would laugh when they saw me try

I gave up using my entire box of crayons.

"Dear, why aren't you coloring your pictures for school"

"I don't like coloring", I would reply

I didn't want to be chastised again.
Instead I only colored when I could do so without others around


The nights I colored in secret
Alone
They changed my eyes
7 colors molded to one
Transforming into grays
Blacks
Whites


I'd wake up to a shadowed dusk
And fell asleep to the lifeless sunrise

When I saw the colorful drawings I once envied--
I was no longer jealous
Their colors had trimmed down to none
Maybe they'd transformed like me
Or maybe I just couldn't see..

I still hid in the dark.

But then you came along.
You with the bright smile
And the messy hair
You with the welcoming arms
You somehow sorted through my mess and found my hidden one-colored canvases


You told me they were beautiful.
I'm not sure why
But I believed you.
And somehow
You got me to color again

I drew and colored and scribbled
Everything I produced; a monotonous gray in my eyes
But you saw the color I thought didn't exist

I felt like all my canvases were useless scribbles
But you gave every line
Every curve
Every bend
Meaning


One day you let me see your art
You told me they weren't much to look at
Yet
I couldn't take my eyes of them
There was one picture in particular
Outlying your collected passions
One, that immediately drew me in

I saw something
A glint of childhood
A touch of comfort
A vision of every tattered page

And approval


It was a blue kind of color
The smell of steak and feel of laughter invaded my senses
A smile touched my lips as the word formed mid intake of my breath

You whispered in my ear
And took me in your arms
And you saw it happen

So this is for you
The one who inspired the colorblind artist to once again
See blue


~JQP

2 comments:

  1. "and approval" that's all anyone wants right, this is tight I really liked it, well done son keep up the work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cerulean was my favorite crayon too. I really liked this.

    ReplyDelete