Sunday, September 28, 2014

our phases of the moon

"Magic happens when the moon is this way. "


You forgot.

You still know for yourself, but you've forgotten that you shared that magic with me. That night. Everytime our eyes connected, yours became affixed to mine. 

Even when I smiled and looked away, you stared admired. 

"What do you wanna do? " 
"I dunno, what do you wanna do? "

Never had a childhood cliché inspired a day like that. 

We were kids at a grocery store. 



Tourists in Maui. 



Residents at Camp Half-Blood.



Lovers on a tree swing.




Too bad I get sick when I swing to long.
I wanted to savor that moment. Stupid head games.

Driving me home you asked me something. 

"What's your favorite phase of the moon? " 

I thought for a moment, then replied. 

"I like the moon when it's missing a small sliver,
when it isn't completely full. "

You gazed out the window, meeting eyes with the stars.

"I like the moon when it's the way it is tonight. 
Magic happens when the moon is this way. " 

I searched the sky to find a small sliver.
The moon
Hardly there at all, setting behind the bare hills
The curve of his smile lie in that shape:
Slightly curved, pursed together,
dimpled with stars on each side,
And hopeful.


Life has gone on, and that night has been forgotten. But when the stars come out, and I see the moon rise, I wait for your smile to set back into my memories, and patiently watch as magic embraces the city lights, and that longed for 'hope' lulls me to sleep.

Because even though you're gone, I still believe in your magic..

 and my phase combined with yours
still completes me.

~JQP

8 comments:

  1. Freakin amazing!!! Not sure what to do know!! maybe go off and cry as well! No, I'll just keep reading your Blog :) Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We were kids at a grocery store. "

    #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Because even though you're gone, I still believe in your magic.."

    Yes so beautiful! Also I'm stealing this

    ReplyDelete
  4. and my phase combined with yours still completes me.
    beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you said his smile was the same shape as the sliver of the moon it got me this was beautiful

    ReplyDelete